Thursday, December 08, 2005

Enough War on the War on Christmas

I can't seem to get away from Bill O'Reilly's war on the people who he thinks are fighting a war on Christmas. Of course, I never watch O'Reilly so I was not aware of this until all media decided to tell me about it. Apparently, retailers say "Happy Holidays" rather than Merry Christmas, and O'Reilly thinks this is important. A piece in the Sunday NY Times was the first that I became aware of this.

The Christmas that Mr. O'Reilly and his allies are promoting - one closely aligned with retailers, with a smack-down attitude toward nonobservers - fits with their campaign to make America more like a theocracy, with Christian displays on public property and Christian prayer in public schools.

It does not, however, appear to be catching on with the public. That may be because most Americans do not recognize this commercialized, mean-spirited Christmas as their own. Of course, it's not even clear the campaign's leaders really believe in it. Just a few days ago, Fox News's online store was promoting its "Holiday Collection" for shoppers. Among the items offered to put under a "holiday tree" was "The O'Reilly Factor Holiday Ornament." After bloggers pointed this out, Fox changed the "holidays" to "Christmases."

Lastnight on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart decided to defend himself from an attack from O'Reilly that showed a year old clip that made fun of Christmas. Jon did a good job, but he forgot to mention that George W. Bush sent out Christmas cards that did not include any mention of Christmas.

I then found it on one of my favorite blogs, Dispatches from the Culture Warts. Ed Brayton has been so turned off by O'Reilly, et al' s whining that it is running his own appreciation of Christmas.
And now I'm against what I'd be for normally because they're a fucking nitwit." That's how I feel about this "War on Christmas" crap that we are being bombarded with from every corner of the right wing media.
I feel sorry for Mr. O'Reilly if thinks either "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" contains any sincerity when expressed by a large corporation, he probably also thinks that Fox News actually is "Fair and Balanced".

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

You watch the Daily Show and read the New York times? Give me a break, do you have any balance or an open mind, whatsoever, in your ideology?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Mike said...

The fact that I found references to this manufactured crisis in some particular
media outlet is irrelevant. My feelings about Christmas are unaffected by the
marketing strategies of major retailers. I am surprised that some people care.

Huge corporations will say whatever they think will sell the most stuff. If people make a big enough stink, then they will switch back to "Merry Christmas". Does this signify a newfound and deep respect for Christmas? I do not think so.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Kim said...

From time to time we find a blog interesting enough to read. Yours is in that category.

My partner and I have this interesting viral marketing tool tool. It is a cool and effective viral marketing tool tool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home